Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ebb & Flow

Man, its been a while since I wrote anything. In the interim, I've been working on a few things. No, not my car, that would require mechanical knowledge beyond that of a toddler.

My base. My speed. My strength.

One word: Andre Galvao's book.

Ok, that was three words, so let me try again: Andregalvaosbook.

Or better yet, Andregalvaosbookisgreatandresponsibleformyrecentsuccesses.

If you don't feel like reading that, buy the book and it will explain itself.

I don't usually enjoy reading books about technique, or plugging something that will make someone else money. If it were up to me, I would be like this guy:

Feathers and all.

I would much rather watch videos, or take the hands on approach. This book is so much more than that. It takes common BJJ movements and turns them into exercises that relate to those movements. I have seen tremendous improvements since using these exercises.

So why the "Ebb" part of the title if I've been "Flowing"? Two words: Role Reversal (hey, that was the right number of words this time! My high school teacher would be proud!).


Nevermind.


After coming back from a three week BJJ layoff and working on the aforementioned aspects of my game, I was able to sweep/transition/defend very well, spending most of the session on top.

The week after that, I managed to continue to defend, only getting submitted twice during a two hour session.

Week three: Asskickery abound. I sucked. Therein lies the ebb to my flow.

What does this have to do with Andregalvaosbook? I did not continue my workouts as I had in the weeks prior. So this week, I am working it back in, along with not drinking the night before my grappling session. In general, getting drunk before doing something important is not a good idea, even if its the night before.

Just ask this guy.

So now its back to the basics, and working these drills until I'm flowing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment