Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breaking Down Your Game


Remember the VCR? You know, that antiquated slab of black plastic tucked away in your closet beside the golf clubs that your wife begged you not to buy? It's a piece of junk now, but at one time it was the coolest thing since Miles Davis' sliced bread. The only use it has anymore is boring inlaws with videos of your better days, and watching a ragged copy of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", wishing you were as cool as that dude.

The technology it represents is very useful, however. Especially to those who like to break down every facet of their Jiu-Jitsu game. Enter YouTube: the website that brought you the ability to view people pranking each other by creating new ways to damage their friend's testicles. That's not what I use it for though. I primarily watch videos regarding socially constructive things like how to survive a zombie attack.

It does have an even better use than watching funny Old Spice commercials. Lately, I have been taping my rolling sessions, and uploading them to a private YouTube channel, then giving access to my training partners so we can review/comment on each others game as well as our own. Note, I said private because I have no desire for me getting my ass kicked to be at the world's fingertips.

This is something I highly recommend doing. Video taping your sessions is by itself a great training tool, but once you place that video at the center of your crew, and begin methodically picking it apart, the options for growth are endless. I have yet to see the full benefits of this, but I know the potential is there for it to take my Jiu-Jitsu to the next level.

Then, I really will be as cool as Ferris Bueller.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely correct! video of rolling sessions can be a great tool for braking down and finding weakness in your game.

    ReplyDelete