Monday, June 28, 2010

GPS - no, not GSP, I really mean GPS.


I just rode 30 minutes on my bike, and ran 1 mile using SmartRunner, a GPS tracking program that tracks speed, distance, time, etc. and even shows the exact map of where you ran. Its pretty cool in theory, but I don't know how long I can stomach carrying my phone with me on my runs.

The funny thing is, they have a few different sports you can track - hiking, walking, shopping (?), swimming, etc. I dont know why shopping is considered a sport, and I don't know how you can carry a phone on you while you swim. Whatever.

The point is, I noticed they had many options for non-sports, and sports you can't possibly track using a GPS device. Surprise, surprise, Jiu-jitsu was not an option.

This makes me realize how unpopular our sport is to the general public. While it is growing by leaps and bounds because of the popularity of MMA, it will never be a spectator sport. People who do not practice BJJ think it is boring to watch. Hell, I know some people who do train and they thought the 2010 Worlds were boring.

That is a shame. Unfortunately, not much can be done to change it. At least Fabricio Werdum showed us the guard is not dead in MMA. But we already knew that, didn't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment